Sunday, June 22, 2014

6 Weeks to IMLP - Training Summary



This past week was a pretty light week as I had a 3 Mile Open water swim race on Saturday.  I completed the 3.09 miles in 1 Hour 28 minutes for a 1:37/100yd pace.  I was hoping to go a little faster as my swim training has been going well.  I wish I had set my watch to give me splits at 1.2 and 2.4 to see if the extra 6/10th of a mile slowed my overall pace.  At the end of the day I completed the swim and felt great during the entire race.   I also switched to a sleeveless wetsuit and felt much more comfortable and less restricted in the shoulders. 

I had a great brick workout going yesterday until the wheels came off 7 miles into my 60 minute run.  I was able to cover almost 60 miles at 20.2 mph on the bike and was averaging 7:45 per mile until I came unhinged. My nutrition plan was working well but I did not have any fluids on the run which is probably what caused me to slow way down.  Additionally, I had been researching the benefits of Beet Root Juice as it relates to stamina and decided to give it a chance as I drank a shot of a product called Beet-It, which is a British company that makes concentrated beet juice.  It is way to early to make any conclusions as the sample size is one but I sure had a great day yesterday. 

These next 2 weeks are going to be my peak training weeks in my 20 week training plan for Ironman Lake Placid. This week will be 19 hours of training and next week 20 hours.  I will be getting "comfortable with being uncomfortable."  I will continue to use and repeat my mantra for this Ironman training "Keep calm and be efficient".  

5 weeks to go until I toe the line at Mirror lake and I feel good about where I am with my training.  My body is holding up well and mentally I take one day at a time and focus on the next workout.  These next two weeks will be challenging and I look forward to the grind. 

 



6 Weeks to IMLP  - Training Summary 
Monday Jun 16, 2014
Swim
Zone 1
Duration: 00:30:00
Distance: 0
Open Water Steady Swim
Swim at your perceived Z1 pace in open water.
Practice:

Sighting by choosing an object (house, car, lifeguard chair, etc) to swim toward, and lifting head slightly
every few strokes to check course

Tuesday Jun 17, 2014
Bike
Zone R
Duration: 01:00:00
Distance: 0
ZR Ride
**Stay at the lower end of zone R if you feel you need the recovery. Keep cadence at 95+ throughout!
Run
Zone 2
Duration: 00:40:00
Distance: 0
Z1/Z2 T Run (as you feel)
Start your T run within 10 minutes after the bike ride. Start the run in Z1 and descend pace (if you feel
good) throughout the run into Z2. Finish toward the top of Z2.
Wednesday Jun 18, 2014
Swim
Best Sustainable Effort
Duration: 01:10:00
Distance: 4000
Specificity Set #1
Warmup:
none
Main Set:
15 x 50 best effort on TT+10
2 x 600 best effort on TT+10
10 x 50 best effort on TT+10
Cooldown:
1550 easy pull
Thursday Jun 19, 2014
Bike
Zone 2
Duration: 01:00:00
Distance: 0
Z1/Z2 Ride (as you feel)
Start the ride in Z1 and descend pace (if you feel good) throughout the ride into Z2. Finish toward the top
of Z2.
**Keep 90 rpm throughout
Run
Zone R
Duration: 00:20:00
Distance: 0
ZR T Run
Start your T run within 10 minutes after the bike ride. Run duration @ ZR with a cadence of at least 88
steps per minute.
Friday Jun 20, 2014
OFF
Duration: 00:00:00
Distance: 0
Rest
Saturday Jun 21, 2014
Swim
Best Sustainable Effort
Duration: 01:30:00
Distance: 0
Open Water 3 Mi Race
Bike
Zone R
Duration: 01:00:00
Distance: 0
ZR Ride
**Stay at the lower end of zone R if you feel you need the recovery. Keep cadence at 95+ throughout!
Sunday Jun 22, 2014
Bike
Zone 2
Duration: 03:00:00
Distance: 0
Z1/Z2 Ride
Bike 90 minutes at Z1, then 90 minutes @ Z2. Descend the pace throughout the ride and finish toward the
top of Z2. Keep cadence at 90+ rpm.
Run
Zone 2
Duration: 01:00:00
Distance: 0
Z1/Z2 T Run
Start your T run within 10 minutes after the bike ride. Run 25 minutes at Z1, then 35 minutes @ Z2.
Descend the pace throughout the run and finish toward the top of Z2.

No comments:

Post a Comment